[mythtv-users] OT: Can we expect to reap some benefits from Google Android?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:21:05 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 5:02 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On getting pocketPC to act as frontends i think you are not going to see
> this happen.  For one with a small screen the video maybe a low bitrate.
> Also, how can we remotely control the device?  I think android will be open
> but in the contents of a PPC.

I was thinking more along the lines of smartphone-type boards and
smartphone-type processors that could drive audio and video out ports,
Gbit LAN and IR reciever. The article points to the TI machine that is
(will be) capable of 720p via external port.

The idea isn't a MythFE in your cell phone, but rather a phone-size
(or pocket PC-size) FE device that's extremely small, extremely
low-powered, and completely silent.