[mythtv-users] OT: Can we expect to reap some benefits from Google Android?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:02:27 UTC 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 4:49 PM, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just caught a peek at this article on the first Android devices:
>
> It seems like they're mostly concepts and prototypes for the moment,
> but this bit jumped out at me:
>
> "TI also demoed Android on their latest OMAP 3430 processor, a much
> faster machine. [...] The TI 3430 can play high-definition 720p video
> through its video-out port, but those drivers haven't been written
> yet, TI reps said."
>
> I guess the question is whether the hardware drivers will be as open
> as the Android spec. Is there any requirement for that?
>
> And I guess the takeaway I can see is that it should soon be at least
> theoretically possible to build or hack together an HD-capable FE
> device out of smartphone-type hardware. Talk about small and quiet.
>
> Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and while I won't hold my breath
> on completely silent, pocket-size FEs, I can certainly hope that the
> hardware and driver coding going into these devices can somehow
> trickle into Myth to lower the current CPU requirements for HD.
>
> Just a thought.

I think and hope that we get some solution for recording all HD channels in
HD on our mythboxs.  Right now the Hauppauge Component PCI card is the most
promise we have.  If that the case were good.

On getting pocketPC to act as frontends i think you are not going to see
this happen.  For one with a small screen the video maybe a low bitrate.
Also, how can we remotely control the device?  I think android will be open
but in the contents of a PPC.

My thoughts anyway.

Mitchell