[mythtv-users] Second Backend disabling primary backend tuners

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 05:13:56 UTC 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 7:03 PM, <jimbo at tonto.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I have a front end / backend system with centos 5 running on each.  The
> back end has all the storage and connects to a hdhomerun for two channels
> of HD tuning.  The front end mainly gets used for watching live tv and
> recordings stored on the back end.
>
> I do still want to watch some non-HD TV, at least while it still lasts for
> the next year or so, and so have put a pvr-350 in the front end.  There
> are a couple of issues getting the secondary back end to work and I wonder
> if anyone out there has figured out how to get past this.
>
> 1) The secondary backend does not start up properly with the
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend script.  Instead I have been logging on as the
> mythtv user and manually starting mythtvbackend from the command line.
> This does work to allow the front end to tune the analog channels through
> the pvr-350, but seems like a pretty kludgey way to do it.
>
> The error messages in mythbackend.log show that this seems to be due to
> the secondary backend attempting to access the localhost mysql rather than
> the primary backend server.  When I set the values of
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt to the approriate host it works ok.
>
> 2) Once the secondary backend is running, it seems to supercede the old
> tuner list, so that now only the analog channels are availabe.  I don't
> know whether this issue is related to issue #1.

Sounds alot like you don't have your master/slave relationship set up
right.  First, stop mysql from running on the slave (it is not needed and
will only get in your way).  Second, make sure each backend knows it's own
IP address in mythtv-setup (otherwise they try talking to localhost).  Most
of this is documented well in the documentation on mythtv.org in the second
on setting up a slave backend.

Kevin