[mythtv-users] Second Backend disabling primary backend tuners

jimbo at tonto.stanford.edu jimbo at tonto.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 11 01:03:36 UTC 2008

I have a front end / backend system with centos 5 running on each.  The
back end has all the storage and connects to a hdhomerun for two channels
of HD tuning.  The front end mainly gets used for watching live tv and
recordings stored on the back end.

I do still want to watch some non-HD TV, at least while it still lasts for
the next year or so, and so have put a pvr-350 in the front end.  There
are a couple of issues getting the secondary back end to work and I wonder
if anyone out there has figured out how to get past this.

1) The secondary backend does not start up properly with the
/etc/init.d/mythbackend script.  Instead I have been logging on as the
mythtv user and manually starting mythtvbackend from the command line.
This does work to allow the front end to tune the analog channels through
the pvr-350, but seems like a pretty kludgey way to do it.

The error messages in mythbackend.log show that this seems to be due to
the secondary backend attempting to access the localhost mysql rather than
the primary backend server.  When I set the values of
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt to the approriate host it works ok.

2) Once the secondary backend is running, it seems to supercede the old
tuner list, so that now only the analog channels are availabe.  I don't
know whether this issue is related to issue #1.

Jim