[mythtv-users] Pointers for MythTV frontend on Koolu?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 9 20:45:35 UTC 2008

Steve Daniels wrote:

> On http://forum.koolu.org/viewtopic.php?t=5 it says "It is recommended
> that the backend supply mpeg4 video.", I don't know what format the
> video you get from the PVR-150 is, but is it mpeg4? If not, have you
> tried transcoding to mpeg4 and seeing how it handles?

Obviously a PVR can't create MPEG4. The only hardware mpeg4 encoder
supported by Myth that I'm aware of is a Plextor PX-TV402U. Otherwise
you'd have to transcode, or use a framegrabber and encode with your main
CPU.

I'm not sure if Myth (or Linux in general) can take advantage of that
H/W MPEG decoder, and if it can I don't know if it can deal with MPEG4.

beww