[mythtv-users] Black square in top-right corner

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 9 20:03:08 UTC 2008

On 02/09/2008 01:19 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> Every now and then when I load up x-windows, I get a small black
> square in the top right corner. It almost looks like a text mode mouse
> cursor:
> http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/blacksquare.jpg
>
> If I alt-tab between apps, or if I use Alt-F[1-4] to switch between
> desktops, the black square will flicker away for an instant and then
> reappear. If I close and restart xwindows it will usually disappear,
> though occasionally I have to do it a couple times before it goes
> away.
>
> Any ideas what it could be?

"Hidden" window manager dock/slit/bar/...?  Perhaps one with a clock or
other frequently-updated content.

If not, I'd guess it's corrupt data in the video RAM, likely due to a
bug in your video drivers (or potentially hardware issues like bad RAM
or overheating).

Then again, since MePo-wide is an "out of tree" theme, it's possible
that some of the many extremely useful changes that Justin Hornsby and
Stuart Morgan have been making to the theme engine is causing this on an
out-of-date theme.  Have you tried one of the built-in themes?  Other
than that, I can pretty much guarantee it's not a Myth issue.  (To prove
this, see if it stays there when you minimize--i.e. through a
keystroke--or otherwise "move" the Myth frontend window.)

Mike