[mythtv-users] NVP: Video is 30 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Sat Feb 9 13:52:58 UTC 2008

On 8-Feb-08, at 11:15 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/08/2008 06:41 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>> Time for a fresh thread.
>> Here is a verbose log from my frontend.
>> I am getting dropped frames, and resulting poor video and sound.
>> NVidia 8600, SVN, Firewire DCT6200 capture, SPDIF working
>> with .asoundrc
>> Core2duo 6300 (1.86ghz ), Raptor 32 gig with OS and database, 500 Gig
>> SATA with /video for recordings etc....
>>
>> Why all the dropping frames?
>>
>> Really need to get this fixed, anyone see any problems?
>>
>> Log attached.  Lots of removed dropped messages to save space on
>> the log
>
> My recommendation is to concentrate first on getting it to work with
> analog audio output.  Once that's done (i.e. once you know Myth is
> configured/working properly), then modify your ALSA configuration to
> use
> S/PDIF out.  I.e. walk before you try to run.
>
> With your sound card, renaming /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc
> (i.e. so
> you're using all ALSA defaults) should be a good analog test.
>
> Mike

I have done this. My sound is analog.
I have put in a PCI Creative Soundblaster Audigy.
No /etc/asound.conf or .asoundrc for the mythtv user ( mythtv is the
user running mythfrontend )
Mythfrontend sound setup is this:

Audio output device: /dev/dsp
Passthrough: Default
Aggressive sound checked
Mixer device: default
Mixer controls PCM

Still have logs full of the dropped frames.

Log attached