[mythtv-users] Xine not exiting Fedora 8

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 03:58:50 UTC 2008

sdkovacs wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 6:48 PM, M A <hoolahoous at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have xine .99.5 installed from atrpms on my Fedora 8
>> (2.6.23.9-85.fc8 kernel) running GNome. Mythfrontend
>> version is  0.20.2-170.fc8. Installed using Jarod's
>> guide.
>>
>> I can not get xine to exit using LIRC. Here is
>> relevent section from lirc.
>>
>> begin
>>
>>         button = Stop
>>         prog   = xine
>>         repeat = 2
>>         config = Quit
>> end
>>

>> I can hit the q key on keyboard to exit and that works
>> fine. However when I hit the mapped lirc button, it
>> does not exit. Rather xine goes in background. All I
>> am left with is 'loading' screen on mythtv. I can not
>> do anything since mythtv thinks xine is still running.
>> I have to then login using ssh and kill the xine
>> process. As soon as xine exits control comes back to
>> mythtv.
>>
>> What could be wrong. I do not think it is focus issue
>> since I can see that xine is still running in
>> background and I have to kill it explicitly to get
>> mythtv control back.
>>

> I just want to add that I'm seeing the same problem on Fedora 8. I'm
> using ratpoison as my window manager.
I have pretty much the same problem, running Gnome, but it only does it
about 10% of the time, the rest of the time it exits normally. My
solution, which is probably not a good fix if it happens every time, was
to grant my mythuser access to gdm-restart (boy, just learning about the
sudoers file format was an adventure on it's own) and then setting up
the power button to call irexec to do it.

I was having a real problem getting it to work even though I knew lirc
was picking up the power button (verified with irw). I ran across an
example lircrc which looked a little different from what I was used to
seeing.  The relevant config lines are:

begin
prog = irexec
button = POWER
repeat = 4
config = ~/mythrestart.sh
end

mythrestart.sh just calls /usr/sbin/gdm-restart and I suppose I could
just specify gdm-restart directly. What I had to do to get it to work
was add "&\n" to the end, i.e.:

config = ~/mythrestart.sh &\n

It seems strange that lirc/irexec wouldn't be smart enough to handle
this without an ampersand and carriage return but it works!

Richard