[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 6 21:01:24 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:46:04PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Certainly the early Avids (non-linear video editors) had this
>> "technology", and I think that was in the early 90's as well. I think
>> they introduced their open media framework in 1994, well before TiVo's
>> patent application.
>
> We had an Avid at the small cable network I worked at in 93.  You could
> do it, but it was *so* hard to get real broadcast NTSC quality that
> they had about 6 lower res modes for the actual editing, then you'd
> conform.

Yeah, we used them to generate EDLs for the "real" editors (CMX and GVG
SuperEdit suites). You could do full NTSC but the capture time and space
requirements were huge.

Now an editor friend of mine has a full-blown Media Composer in her bedroom.

> Now, of course, you can do full-scan HDTV on a laptop.

Yeah, I've been playing with Cinelerra and am absolutely amazed. I love
their claim "more performance than you ever expected from a web server".

>> The Tektronix PDR series obviously duplicated this technology, based on
>> the futurebus in, I believe, 1987 (at least on paper). Tektronix
>> eventually standardized on MJPEG, close enough to MPEG to obviate that
>> TiVo patent IMHO.
>
> Probably.  If someone can convince Tek that this patent will impact
> Profile sales, it will go away.
>
> Anyone know anybody at Tek?

Mostly salesmen and technical instructors. I wonder if Boskhar Pant is
still there? I'll look into it.

NBC is a major ProFile user (The Genesis system is based on them, using
EMC servers for data storage). They have close to 200 ProFiles on the
second floor of 30 Rock.

TiVo might be willing to take on DISH, but going up against Tek or EMC
would be suicide.

beww