[mythtv-users] Sound card advice. Strange problems w/ playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 6 17:18:17 UTC 2008

On 02/06/2008 10:52 AM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> I am playing back SD and HD content on a shared front/back-end machine.
> HD is fine, SD is a bit choppy and sound drops small sections.
> CentOS 5.1, Core2duo, Firewire capture, Audigy value card ( low end )
> HD is fine, but when playing SD live TV, I get tond of this my my
> frontend log:
> NVP prebuffering pause
> NVP prebuffering pause
> NVP prebuffering pause
>
> Now, if I remove my sound card, video plays back perfectly.  I put it
> in, and get that choppy playback.

Make sure you do /not/ have enabled:

Use video as timebase
Use the video as the timebase and warp the audio to keep it in sync.
(Experimental)

And that you're using libmpeg (not libmpeg2) for decoding.

Also, ensure you /have/ enabled:

Extra audio buffering
Enable this setting if MythTV is playing "crackly" audio and you are
using hardware encoding. This setting will have no effect on MPEG-4 or
RTJPEG video. MythTV will keep extra audio data in its internal buffers
to workaround this bug.

even if you're not using hardware encoding.

Mike