[mythtv-users] irxevent: button to switch desktops

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Tue Feb 5 22:16:41 UTC 2008

>         I set up lircrc with the following:
>
>         begin
>         prog = irxevent
>         button = A
>         config = Key ctrl-alt-Left RootWindow
>         end
>
>         I don't know if "RootWindow" is right. Should this work? What
>         else
>         should I have to do?
>
> Once you enter "prog = irxevent" that keypress is pushed off by lircd
> to the irxevent process (started by your myth user as "irxevent
> --daemon" or by root as "irxevent
> --daemon /home/mythtv/mythtv/.lircrc") and doesn't even hit Myth with
> a command, that is unless you have that same button also configured to
> send a command to Myth. Since your not trying to focus on a program
> with-in the desktop workspace, you should be able to get away with
> simply sending the 'Key ctrl-atl-Left{Right}' as the config string.
>
> Josh

I tried the config line without RootWindow and irxevent complained about
a bad config  line. After some more playing and reading, this is what I
think really should work:

config = Key Control_L-Alt_L-Left RootWindow

Those are the names that xev reports when I hit those keys, and
RootWindow is what the lirc page for irxevent says to use to talk to the
window manager.

So I fired up my box, opened up a terminal, and ran irxevent -d. Hitting
"A" on the remote still did nothing.

Also, I see nothing from irxevent in the logs.

Any more clues?