[mythtv-users] erxevent: button to switch desktops

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Tue Feb 5 20:44:30 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 2:31 PM, Christopher M. Jones <cjones at partialflow.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat lost as to how to set up a button on my remote to switch
> desktops. I probably just don't understand how myth interacts with
> irxevent. What I think I understand so far:
>
> I am using the latest myth from ubuntu (.20?)
>
> I set up lircrc with the following:
>
> begin
> prog = irxevent
> button = A
> config = Key ctrl-alt-Left RootWindow
> end
>
> I don't know if "RootWindow" is right. Should this work? What else
> should I have to do?

Once you enter "prog = irxevent" that keypress is pushed off by lircd to the
irxevent process (started by your myth user as "irxevent --daemon" or by
root as "irxevent --daemon /home/mythtv/mythtv/.lircrc") and doesn't even
hit Myth with a command, that is unless you have that same button also
configured to send a command to Myth. Since your not trying to focus on a
program with-in the desktop workspace, you should be able to get away with
simply sending the 'Key ctrl-atl-Left{Right}' as the config string.

Josh