[mythtv-users] Firewire capture "stops" working when channel changes?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 11:36:40 UTC 2008

Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a strange issue with firewire capture of HD content.
> test-mpeg2 captures content without a problem on all of my HD stations
> (OTA, CNN, Discovery, etc), Myth works OK when I first turn on my HD
> tuner by hitting "Y" but when I go to change the channel I get an
> error saying that I can only get a partial lock.  There are no other
> errors in the logs.  I'm using Mythbuntu 8.10.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Marc

I see the same problem occasionally although its become much less
frequent since the recent patch to stop reseting the box on a stream
change (Any up-to-date repo should include this patch by now). Now it
only happens on one channel that has the bad habit of blocking firewire
on a few shows. Emails to the station manager have gone unanswered so
they have no desire the fix the issue and I will just have to live with it.

Check to see if its always one show that bombs and force that show to
record off of another input if you have one.

FYI - My HDhomerun would capture anything but after going thru 2 of them
in less than a year and the manufacturer not wanting to honor the
warranty ($20 off the purchase of another is not a warranty) I will not
buy another or recommend them to anyone hence the firewire capture.