[mythtv-users] "NVP: Prebuffer wait timed out 10 times" - errors after rebuilding seektable for recording

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Wed Dec 24 14:36:29 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/24/2008 09:14 AM, Mike Holden wrote:
>> After rebuilding the seektable using:
>> mythcommflag --rebuild --verbose important,general --allend
>> 20080831235959
>>
>> to rebuild all programs before that date (August 2008 and before).
>>

> First, the use of mythcommflag --rebuild is only supported on a
> file-by-file basis...  I.e. it was not designed to work on a group of
> files and there has been very little testing using that approach.
>
> And, second, you shouldn't even be using mythcommflag to rebuild the
> entries for /MPEG/ recordings.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Repairing_the_Seektable

Thanks a lot for that. It would explain a lot, especially the second point!

I would say though that there's nothing on the wiki page at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythcommflag that says it isn't for
mpeg recordings. I found this page via Google (2nd result found), and
since it describes exactly what I want to do, and describes the exact
parameters that I used, I saw no reason to go ahead!

Certainly there's no warning on that page about unsupported parameters,
just a list of available ones. Maybe someone who is more familiar with the
program could update the wiki to clarify exactly what works and what
doesn't? Having said that, the tool did process all expected files, so it
would appear to do what it is supposed to do in terms of choosing the
correct files to process.

I'm happy to add an entry myself warning against using it on mpeg
recordings, but I don't know enough about the rest to feel comfortable
adding any other updates.

Merry Christmas!
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts