[mythtv-users] Database update schema error with trunk utf8

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 17 05:02:09 UTC 2008

On 12/16/2008 11:45 PM, freedenizen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> OK, I don't know what -latin1 use flag means, but it seems that a mysql
>> server compiled with it still has support for latin1 charset.
>>
>> So, I'm back to having no idea why the conversion failed for on your system.
>>
> Well it looks like you are right about what the use flag should do:
> http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
> "latin1 	Use LATIN1 encoding instead of UTF8"
>
> Maybe (hopefully) my system is just some weird fluke, but let me know
> if there is anything else you want me to check.

I'm guessing, then, that it just sets the default character set.  The
default character set for the server shouldn't have any effect on Myth
as the proper charset for the mythconverg database will be specified by
mc.sql when the database is created (and, even if someone doesn't create
the DB properly, there's some defensive code that was inserted to help
prevent problems--though that's not guaranteed to work, so /always/ use
mc.sql).

Mike