[mythtv-users] Myth2Ipod Problems: held off as long as I could.

John Baab john.baab at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 05:34:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So to start: I am trying to get a recording to export to iPod format (mp4
>>> to be exact) using the Myth2iPod script.  And I'm running into SIGNIFICANT
>>> problems doing so.
>>>
>>> First, and foremost, http://myth2ipod.com no longer exists...meaning this
>>> entire script can no longer be reproduced since 3/4 of the needed stuff came
>>> from that site.  I do still have the tools and utilities and some minor
>>> documentation (I kick myself every time I don't store a website like this
>>> locally, what's with all these needed and used websites going offline these
>>> days anyway?), so I proceeded forward.
>>> Conversely should I be "doing away" with the Myth2iPod stuff and doing
>>> something differently?  The thing I like most about Myth2Ipod is the fact
>>> that it creates a feed useable within iTunes to auto-load this stuff to the
>>> iPod.  I know that's probably pretty basic but it's big for me.
>>>
>> Doug,
>>
>> Seeing as how you are using Ubuntu - have you tried mythexport?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythExport  You can install it using apt.
>> I tried to use myth2ipod, but never did too well with it.  Mythexport works
>> very well for me - and creates iTunes feeds.
>>

> Nick: I''m having significant problems with this one also:

> /usr/share/perl5/MythTV/StorageGroup.pm line 57.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/mythexport
> line 181.
> /usr/bin/mythexport line 244.
> /usr/bin/mythexport line 244.
> sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> AtomicParsley error: can't open
> /mnt/varchive/ipodfeed/CW11-DT,-St.-Louis-Digital-CW_Chaotic_A_Flux_Too_Far_20081.mp4
> --genre "TV Shows" --stik "TV Show" --TVNetwork
> CW11-DT,-St.-Louis-Digital-CW for reading: No such file or directory
> AP error trying to fopen: No such file or directory
> sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> 2008-12-15 15:54:54.037 JobQueue: Finished "Encode for iPod New" for
> "Chaotic" recorded from channel 1111 at Sat Oct 18 11:00:00 2008.
> 2008-12-15 15:54:54.044 jobqueue: Job "Encode for iPod New" Finished:
> Finished "Encode for iPod New" for "Chaotic" recorded from channel 1111 at
> Sat Oct 18 11:00:00 2008.
>
> The version of mythexport in place is:  mythexport 1.0-0ubuntu1 which
> doesn't seem to match the 1.0.6 version that's out on the testing site.  I
> assume, again, this is an old version of the script that doesn't work.
>
> I've added:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu-testing/ubuntu hardy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu-testing/ubuntu hardy main
>
> But those don't seem to be doing it either as if I disable all archives but
> [...]

It sounds like you have the version installed from the regular ubuntu
repos, the latest for hardy from the testing ppa should be
1.0.4-0ubuntu3~ppa3

After adding the apt sources make sure you do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You can verify what version you have by running the following:
dpkg -l mythexport |grep ^ii

For this version you also want to make sure you have ffmpeg from
medibuntu installed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu