[mythtv-users] Myth2Ipod Problems: held off as long as I could.

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 21:06:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> So to start: I am trying to get a recording to export to iPod format (mp4
>>> to be exact) using the Myth2iPod script.  And I'm running into SIGNIFICANT
>>> problems doing so.
>>>
>>> First, and foremost, http://myth2ipod.com no longer exists...meaning
>>> this entire script can no longer be reproduced since 3/4 of the needed stuff
>>> came from that site.  I do still have the tools and utilities and some minor
>>> documentation (I kick myself every time I don't store a website like this
>>> locally, what's with all these needed and used websites going offline these
>>> days anyway?), so I proceeded forward.
>>> Conversely should I be "doing away" with the Myth2iPod stuff and doing
>>> something differently?  The thing I like most about Myth2Ipod is the fact
>>> that it creates a feed useable within iTunes to auto-load this stuff to the
>>> iPod.  I know that's probably pretty basic but it's big for me.
>>>
>>> Doug,
>>
>> Seeing as how you are using Ubuntu - have you tried mythexport?
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythExport  You can install it using
>> apt.  I tried to use myth2ipod, but never did too well with it.  Mythexport
>> works very well for me - and creates iTunes feeds.

> There seem to be several alternatives out there.  I very much will look at
> the MythExport script you mention and will probably move to it given the
> troubles I'm having and the fact that myth2ipod seems to have died a small
> death.
>
> That said, I WOULD like to see if I can get Myth2iPod back functioning
> again, even if I don't use it it's something I can do for the community at
> large...I know I'm not the only one using this thing.
>
> --Doug

I also found a management php script that can be added into mythweb to help
manage the feed and a couple other fun things like that.  What i'm intending
to do then is to drop this into the myth wiki with updated instructions that
work for the current version as well as information on a management script
as well.

Thanks for the links and the research James, i'll get this out there.