[mythtv-users] Playback hangs system

Keith Wire keith.wire at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 14 13:46:20 UTC 2008

>> My wife now refuses to touch the system and has stated it's worse than
>> having no TV at all, and without some sort of resolution, the plug is
>> going to be pulled on the MythTV experiment, and we'll go back to the
>> dark ages of live TV only.

Leonard, I know the feeling...

I am no expert, but I have been working on my setup for about a year and
have
a couple of questions.  Does everything work outside of MythTV?

Can you watch "live TV" using the test Jarod Wilson has on his site?

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fc6myth.php#capture

Here is a clip of what he says...
--------------------------------
Hook up your cable or antenna to your cards's tuner input if you haven't
already done so (or some other video source to the S-Video or composite
input if you've set a different capture input), and we'll try to capture
some video... Press Ctrl-C to stop the video capture.

# cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
(ctrl-c to stop capture)
Use that copy of mplayer you installed a bit ago (as part of the
mythtv-suite install) to view the capture:

# mplayer -vo xv /tmp/test_capture.mpg
If you get something that looks and sounds intelligible, then congrats, your
card is good to go! If not, and you're using the tuner input, it may be that
you aren't tuned to a channel you actually have a signal on. Try again after
changing channels on your card, rinsing and repeating as necessary:

# /usr/bin/ivtv-tune -c [channel]

Can you play a DVD using mplayer?

I've set up many WINDOZE systems and this is my first attempt Linux, so I
know it is frustrating can be.  I have spent a week on something that would
have taken a "guru" about a minute.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Keith