[mythtv-users] Hulu Integration?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:08:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:50 PM, David Schlenk <mythtv at schdav.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Michael D. O'Brien <obrienmd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > There's an old thread from March on this, but does anyone know if there's
> > been any movement on this front?
> >
> > I'm itching to turn off everything but OTA, but hesitent given there's a
> lot
> > of content on cable that my wife enjoys.  However, I think if Hulu was
> > integrated into Myth with a remote-capable UI, it would offset most of
> the
> > content loss from dropping cable.
>
> I echo this sentiment. I know its US only, but given that lots of STBs
> are starting to shoehorn this kind of capability into their feature
> list we wouldn't want to be left behind, would we?
>
> If there's enough interest I could probably contribute some time and
> resources to the project. Anyone interested in joining me feel free to
> contact me off list. Particularly someone with experience writing myth
> plugins since I have none.

I've looked into this.  The basic problem is the lack of ability to
integrate a flash player that supports Hulu into MythTV itself.  You can, of
course, launch Firefox in a variety of ways (including fullscreen) and play
the video but you can't control it with the remote very easily.  The Webkit
browser from QT4 that is being integrated into Myth now lacks Flash plugin
support in the version that is currently distributed.  Once that browser
includes Flash, I think it will be very easy to do.  The other option
currently open would be to expand mythfrontend's ability to be a UPnP client
and just connect it to something like PlayOn that distributes online media
via UPnP

Kevin