[mythtv-users] OT: Converting VHS to digital with Ion vcr2pc

Mark Fraser mythtv at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 14:09:16 UTC 2008

On Sunday 30 November 2008 13:50:09 Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 21:56 -0800, Jonny B wrote:
> > My mother has hundreds of old home movies and whatnot that she wants
> > to convert to digital so she can get rid of the tapes. She saw this
> > here thing, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it.
> >
> > http://www.ionaudio.com/vcr2pc
> >
> > It *appears* to do the encoding in hardware, but I am not sure. I was
> > hoping someone that has used one could say. Otherwise, would it not be
> > easier to get a USB capture device with hardware encoding (which can
> > be had much cheaper) and plug her VCR into it? I am half tempted to
> > tell her to get a Happauge HD-PVR and when she's done converting all
> > her VHS tapes, then she could give it to me, and I could use it for HD
> > capture. This seems like a more logical purchase to me than a VCR with
> > a USB port and a extra set of video inputs on it. Anybody?
>
> Jon,
>
> I have done the conversion just connecting a VHS to the pvr-350 using
> the coaxial cable. Then recording under Mythtv and then creating the dvd
> from there. It is a very time consuming process because you need to
> watch the vhs in real time and then produce the dvd. It is one of those
> things that you may do once in a while.
> I have a HD-PVR but is still in the box I have not spend any time with
> it yet.
> The ionaudio connect through usb if the auput is an mpg file it may be
> worth it. Please let me know it if you get it.

I would like to do a similar thing, but with a few PAL LaserDiscs that I can't
find on DVD. The few discs I've done so far I've used a DVD recorder,
imported them into the computer and done some more processing.

There must be an easier way though that allows me to transfer them straight to
the computer?

--
|\  /| ark Fraser  /Registered Linux User #466407