[mythtv-users] Can the Windows MythTV project use PureVideo?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Dec 2 02:13:59 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Marc Barrett wrote:

> I am interested in the Hauppauge HD-PVR, but I don't know
> if I can afford a fast dual-core system right now.  A project has
> been started to port MythTV to Windows.  (Note: I am NOT talking
> about WinMyth here, which is an old, out-of-date project).
>
> I have a question about the Windows MythTV project: would it
> be possible for this project to somehow make use of nvidia's
> PureVideo?  If possible, that could dramatically lower the
> CPU requirements for playing H.264 videos.

Please use gossamer to look at the recent threads concerning nVidia's
new VDPAU support in Linux. The code is currently in trunk and will be
available for use in the next release (no one knows when that will be
so don't ask - you can use the unstable version today if you like).
Using this for playback, my AMD 64 X2 4200+ processor sits at around
5% when playing back h.264 content.

-Brad