[mythtv-users] (newbie) TV guide sources - xmltv && embedded ?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:59:17 UTC 2008

On 11/08/2008, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  If someone could give me a few pointers for further reading on this
>  problem I have
>  that would be great -
>
>  I have a DVB-C card, running under Mythbuntu, and although I'm still
>  learning lots
>  of stuff, there's one thing that's got me stumped.
>
>  In Switzerland on my (FTA) cable we get lots of European channels,
>  German, French,
>  Turkish, English, etc. etc.  And for the most part, MythTV is able to
>  pull the
>  channel guide out of the stream, and the program guide works fine.
>
>  However for some channels, there is no program information embedded in
>  the signal,
>  for example BBC - you basically only get the current program's info.
>
>  I would like to mix the embedded program guide with extra information
>  from XMLTV.
>  I have XMLTV setup for BBC, but I can't work out how to mix the two
>  sources of
>  information together into the database.
>
>  I set the xmltv source IDs in the channel editor, but they don't seem to
>  get used.
>  I also tried to make a separate group that would use the XMLTV channel
>  information,
>  but I could not associate it with the (single) DVB card.
>
>  Can someone please give me some pointer for further reading.

To configure MythTV and the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber for a subset of
channels available on an existing MythTV video source:

i) configure the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber and choose the channels you
want to grab listings for, saving the configuration to a file.

ii) create/update the channels in MythTV using the channel editor.
Associate the correct XMLTV ID from the grabber configuration file
with the channel in MythTV, and make sure the channels are configured
on the correct videosource (you may only have 1).

iii) ensure 'Use on-air guide' is not selected for these particular channels

iv) Run tv_grab_uk_rt and mythfilldatabase manually (via cron is best)
to retrieve the XMLTV data and then import it into the MythTV
database. Specify the correct sourceid parameter to mythfilldatabase
to ensure the XMLTV data is applied against the correct videosource.

This method should also allow you to configure multiple XMLTV
grabbers, running each manually in turn to retrieve listings data for
supported channels.

You can also run mythfilldatabase automatically - you will need to
have told mythtv-setup that you want to use the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber
and need to name the XMLTV config file as
~/.mythtv/<videosourc_name>.xmltv for the mythbackend user. As long as
the videosource is also configured to retrieve EIT listings, and
EIT-supported channels have 'Use on-air guide' enabled, the end result
should be the same.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: