[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Fri Aug 8 11:36:56 UTC 2008

* jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> [2008 Aug 07 21:16 -0500]:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:58:39PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM, OCG Technical Support <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> > > Our company upgraded to the latest MS Office (with the user friendly
> > > "ribbon")...and we are now in the process of switching back a version.  What
> > > a horrible experience...  Hopefully the Open Office folks won't emulate the
> > > new UI.
> > >
> > > Perhaps that will be a case of open sources leading commercial software!
> > >
> > > Michelle
> >
> > I think this encapsulates the whole thread - one person's usability is
> > another person's nightmare.
>
> This highlights the value of diversity and meaningfully distinct choices.
>
> Not everyone agrees with the "one true way" of designing a UI for a
> particular task. If you don't allow for "UI fragmentation" then you
> essentially force everyone to all use the same size shovel regardless
> of what the job is.

This why when I read some unknown blogger calling yet again for a
"single Linux Desktop" where only GNOME, KDE, or something else would
be allowed to exist, I get quite annoyed.  What they seem to
misunderstand is that it's no problem for me to run a GNOME based
program on my KDE desktop.  Or, they understand that and just don't
like it.  I don't know.

I'm a dedicated KDE user, but it will likely be some time before I move
to KDE4.  I've nothing against KDE4, but I need to be sure I can work
with it effectively before I switch.  But, I'm not going to take the
KDE developers to task for what they're doing as I think they have some
interesting ideas.  I'll have to determine if I can warp my mind to
work with it.

The UI of MythTV is pretty much dictated by the method used by most
remotes of orthogonal arrow keys and a select and back button for
navigation.  Perhaps the biggest improvement at first glance is
rearranging the top level menus somewhat, although upon reflection,
it's quite logical as it is.

> Some jobs may not even call for a shovel at all.

No, but when all you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a
nail.  ;-)

- Nate >>