[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 8 02:15:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:58:39PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM, OCG Technical Support <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> > Our company upgraded to the latest MS Office (with the user friendly
> > "ribbon")...and we are now in the process of switching back a version.  What
> > a horrible experience...  Hopefully the Open Office folks won't emulate the
> > new UI.
> >
> > Perhaps that will be a case of open sources leading commercial software!
> >
> > Michelle
>
> I think this encapsulates the whole thread - one person's usability is
> another person's nightmare.

This highlights the value of diversity and meaningfully distinct choices.

Not everyone agrees with the "one true way" of designing a UI for a
particular task. If you don't allow for "UI fragmentation" then you
essentially force everyone to all use the same size shovel regardless
of what the job is.

Some jobs may not even call for a shovel at all.