[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and LIRC RPMs

Scott Souter scott at tbwifi.ca
Wed Apr 30 04:51:26 UTC 2008

> The user executing irsend needs both lircd running and also write
> permissions to /dev/lircd (or the correct LIRC socket) in order to be
> able to send IR signals. What is the output of
>
> # ls -l /dev/lirc*

Mine are

/dev/lirc/0
/dev/lircd
/dev/lircm

> and
>
> # lsmod | fgrep "serial"

[root at mythbox lirc]#  lsmod | fgrep "serial"
lirc_serial            18216  1
lirc_dev               18376  1 lirc_serial

> For lirc_serial to work correctly, you need to run setserial to
> release the kernel's serial driver, and give the IRQ and IO address
> information to the lirc_serial driver, which is usally placed in
> /etc/modprobe.conf. My /etc/modprobe.conf contains:
>
> alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8

I've added this manually.  Is that correct?

> and my modules script (in /etc/sysconfig/modules/ - your distro may
> not use it) contains:

This is all mine contains...

" ============================================================================
" Netrw Directory Listing                                        (netrw v109)
"   /etc/sysconfig/modules
"   Sorted by      name
"   Sort sequence: [\/]$,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,\.[a-np-z]$,*,\.info$,\.swp$,
\.o$\.obj$,\.bak$
"   Quick Help: <F1>:help  -:go up dir  D:delete  R:rename  s:sort-by  x:exec
" ============================================================================

> /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> modprobe lirc-serial
>
> Your reported "could not connect to socket" error would indicate that
> /dev/lircd is missing, rather than missing write permissions (you'd
> get a connection refused or permission denied error instead).
>
> If you already have lircd running with another LIRC character device
> (perhaps you have lirc_i2c loaded, which created /dev/lirc0) you
> should start another instance of lircd connected to the serial device
> created when lirc_serial is loaded (it could be /dev/lirc1, which  I
> use in the example below, but change as necessary).
>
> Start another instance of lircd, creating a new socket and using the
> correct device:
>
> # lircd --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1

I tried this, but I get the feeling that I am wrong in my guess...

[root at mythbox lirc]#  lircd --device=/dev/lirc/1 --output=/dev/lircd
lircd: there seems to already be a lircd process with pid 5559
lircd: otherwise delete stale lockfile /var/run/lircd.pid
[root at mythbox lirc]#