[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and LIRC RPMs

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 22:53:36 UTC 2008

On 27/04/2008, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:

> I have placed the dish/bell config from
>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration
>  into lircd.conf and started lircd.  When I try an irsend command like
>  irsend LIST REMOTE "", I get could not connect to socket.

The user executing irsend needs both lircd running and also write
permissions to /dev/lircd (or the correct LIRC socket) in order to be
able to send IR signals. What is the output of

# ls -l /dev/lirc*

and

# lsmod | fgrep "serial"

For lirc_serial to work correctly, you need to run setserial to
release the kernel's serial driver, and give the IRQ and IO address
information to the lirc_serial driver, which is usally placed in
/etc/modprobe.conf. My /etc/modprobe.conf contains:

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8

and my modules script (in /etc/sysconfig/modules/ - your distro may
not use it) contains:

/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe lirc-serial

Your reported "could not connect to socket" error would indicate that
/dev/lircd is missing, rather than missing write permissions (you'd
get a connection refused or permission denied error instead).

If you already have lircd running with another LIRC character device
(perhaps you have lirc_i2c loaded, which created /dev/lirc0) you
should start another instance of lircd connected to the serial device
created when lirc_serial is loaded (it could be /dev/lirc1, which  I
use in the example below, but change as necessary).

Start another instance of lircd, creating a new socket and using the
correct device:

# lircd --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1

Then, try irsend again, this time using the new socket dedicated to
the lirc_serial module:

# irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 LIST REMOTE ""

substituing REMOTE for the remote control definition name in your
/etc/lircd.conf file.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: