[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 25 13:13:45 UTC 2008

On 04/25/2008 08:28 AM, Jens Baumeister wrote:
> Besides, I really don't understand why you would intentionally prefer
> to run an unstable, buggy alpha version instead of the stable branch.
> With 0.21 just having been released, there's absolutely no advantage
> in running trunk as compare to fixes. (Later in 0.22's development
> cycle, lost of people will chose to switch to SVN to get the latest
> and greatest features, but now's not a time for that. Currently tunk
> is the in ugly state of being torn apart to install new functionality
> - not a pretty picture.)

Well said!  That's definitely true--there's absolutely no benefit to
running current trunk, especially on a production system.

The thing that really confuses me is why so many people are running
trunk.  The OP in this thread isn't the only one.  Many of those who are
running trunk keep reporting the same "bugs" (that are really just the
same porting issues that have been fixed over and over, but just haven't
yet been fixed in the area they're reporting because the dev who "owns"
that are has been busy with other things).

I realize that not everyone running trunk actually reads the -dev and
-commits lists, but multiple very clear announcements were made on -dev
( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/323423#323423 ,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/323467#323467 ,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/324093#324093 ) /and/
-users (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/323432#323432 ).  The
wiki's front page ( http://mythtv.org/wiki/ ) has a nice link to Janne's
warning message (but, unfortunately, doesn't actually warn users not to
use trunk), and the MythTV home page ( http://mythtv.org/ ) just
mentions 0.21.  So, I'd think people just starting with Myth would find
their way to 0.21 release or 0.21-fixes (I hope the latter) and it seems
many of the people who are reporting "bugs" in trunk are upgrading (i.e.
"since the Qt4 port, ...").

Sure, one of Stuart's messages said, "Wait at least a week," but I think
that was aimed more at active MythTV developers who don't have dedicated
development systems (and are running trunk on their production
systems).  IMHO, if (as Stuart said), "Resolving issues like compilation
problems and submitting patches aren't part of your skill set," you
shouldn't even consider running trunk on a production system for a
number of months (and, considering the plan is to release 0.22 /much/
more quickly than 0.21--perhaps in 6-8 months or so), it may even make
sense to just "ride this one out" with 0.21-fixes until 0.22 is released.

BTW, Qt4 provides absolutely no end-user benefit.  All end-user benefits
that come as a result of additional functionality possible with Qt4
require new feature development in MythTV--simply changing out the
underlying libraries adds nothing--and there's not a lot of new feature
development in progress right now (as the Qt4 and mythui conversions are
higher priority).

Oh, and for those who have seen the recent (post-Qt4-switch) trunk and
say, "But it looks so much nicer than before," that's not Qt4 that's
doing that.  It's all the work that Stuart Morgan has done on the mythui
conversion, and it would have been the same even if we were still on
Qt3.  (Still, though, the UI changes are not a valid reason to use
current trunk.  After all, no matter how pretty the UI, if the system is
full of bugs, it's not worth using.  Hmmm.  I wonder if there are any
good examples of systems that are full of bugs but that have pretty

Mike