[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:28:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> None of the issues so far were trunk-related.
> Scheduling is in all versions I presume.

Yes, but AFAIK there's a whole lot of stuff going on in trunk right
now that could really affect performance. Not to mention taht trunk is
known and warned to be unstable.

> So you are just 'getting tired' and there's no trunk-related problem around.

Running trunk as an end user is currently a problem all by itself.
Becuase there *are* issues in there. It's right in the middle of a
major overhaul, things are slow, some stuff may be broken because of
it. Choosing to use the current trunk instead of -fixes introduces a
whole unecessary subset of problems into the equation.

> I'm just asking the questions, you don't have to do anything.

The problem is that with trunk you're likely to run into issues that
will look like bugs to you but are really just "known issues",
beccause trunk is not in an end-user freindly state right now. And
when that happens, you'll ask for help, and people will get annoyed,
because the effort of asking, reading and answering these questions
could easily be avoided if you simply switsched to a stable version of
Myth.

Besides, I really don't understand why you would intentionally prefer
to run an unstable, buggy alpha version instead of the stable branch.
With 0.21 just having been released, there's absolutely no advantage
in running trunk as compare to fixes. (Later in 0.22's development
cycle, lost of people will chose to switch to SVN to get the latest
and greatest features, but now's not a time for that. Currently tunk
is the in ugly state of being torn apart to install new functionality
- not a pretty picture.)

And as for the DB downgrade: IIRC, you're really just starting out
this project, aren't you? So you wouldn't really lose much by wiping
the DB clean and firing up the 0.21-fixes backend. And as a bonus, it
probably will work faster, as well...

Jens