[mythtv-users] HDTV Stuttering - NVP: Prebuffering Pause Solved

Jerry Bett bjett80 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 10:43:58 UTC 2008

I thought I might pass this along to anyone having problems playing
HDTV and finding "NVP:  PREBUFFERING PAUSE" filling their log files.

I upgraded my mythbox 2.8 gig to mythbuntu 8.04. With the Nvidia 5200
I never had problems playing high def until the upgrade. The high def
material would stutter and stop constantly and the log file was filled
with NVP:  Prebuffering Pause.  The same material would play
flawlessly in mplayer.

I solved the problem by turning off "Sync to Vblank" in the
nvidia-settings application. It was necessary (at least in mythbuntu)
to start the app as sudo in a terminal to get the settings to stick.
Now everything plays without stuttering.