[mythtv-users] A/V Receivers & MythTv

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 19 15:41:24 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> you guys/gals that have Myth hooked up through an AVR, do you run your
> video through the receiver as well as the audio?  or directly to the
> display?
> i'm curious because many of the newer receivers, even some budget
> receivers, now have video processors built into them that do a decent
> job of upscaling/converting/formatting.  looking at the mid-range
> Denons and Onkyos, they all have pretty decent video processors in
> them.  they do a very nice job of upscaling DVD and SD video and some
> can even cherry pick which signals get upscaled.
> i know that Myth can do scaling too.  just wondering if it is as good
> as a dedicated HW video processor.  and i'm also wondering if it's
> possible to run Myth's output through a dedicated video processor.

Andrew,
    I have a geforce 5200 from mythtv connected direct to my 60" Samsung
DLP tv. My roommate's Onkyo TX-SR805 does HDMI switching and
upconverting to 720p, but I found it isn't as good as the Geforce. This
is a $1500 audio receiver, and the video processing is marginal compared
to what my tv does directly. Even 480i from my vcr's composite output is
poorly handled by the Onkyo, but very watchable on the tv's composite input

I prefer to have separate brightness/contrast/color settings for each
input on my tv. The Xbox 360 is quite a bit darker than mythtv, and HD
satellite over component is often very bright.

I also have a Logitech Harmony remote that makes it very simple to
switch modes. Even I have forgot sometimes which input is connected to
what device.
I don't have a wife, but I have a similar setup at my parents place, so
I have a MAF. Mother acceptance factor, which is doing quite well since
she brags about Mythtv to all her friends.

hope this helps

- Richard