[mythtv-users] A/V Receivers & MythTv

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Fri Apr 18 22:57:46 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> you guys/gals that have Myth hooked up through an AVR, do you run your
> video through the receiver as well as the audio?  or directly to the
> display?

Directly to the display.  I have far (*FAR*) more firepower in my myth box
when you combine the dual cores and the GPU than any mere receiver could
hope to have.

Granted, the dual cores are GP units rather than special purpose DSPs, so
that does take the dual cores down a peg or two.  Nevertheless, what they
lack in effeciency they more than make up for in flexibiity.  (How do I want
to deinterlace the signal?  Bob?  Linear?  Kernel?  Yadif?
Hussein-Osbourne?  :) )

One projector running at the native resolution, one cable that runs
interrupted.  No opportunities for other boxes to throw wrenches in the
works!

As for your friend at the video store, I tend to discount most opinions I
hear from salesmen.  They're not neutral, their job is to *sell* you stuff,
using whatever means necessary!