[mythtv-users] Are there any practical advantages of ext4 forMythTV?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Fri Apr 18 23:00:56 UTC 2008

Marc Barrett wrote:
> I am putting together a new MythTV system, based on an
> HDHR which I should be getting about the time that the
> new Fedora 9 comes out.  I figured I'd give the new version
> of Fedora a try.  If I have as many problems as I've had with
> other new Fedora versions, though, I likely will end up
> going with the new Ubuntu release, which is also coming
> out RSN.
>
> Anyway, one of the new features of F9 is support for ext4.
> I was wondering if there are many practical real-world
> advantages of ext4 for MythTV.  My system isn't cutting-
> edge at all, just a 3Ghz P4 with HT, and a single 350G
> SATA hard drive.

I would ask how often you like filling out bug reports with "EVERYTHING ON
THE DISK JUST DISAPPEARED!"

Not saying ext4 is junk, just that it's *very* new.  I don't mind testing
new video drivers, as I can always ssh into the machine and shut it down if
it really goes south.  Disk drivers, on the other hand, if they go south
they can barf all over your file system.

...I *like* my file systems without barf on them.  That's a big part of the
reason why I use JFS -- IBM hammered on it a long time before it was ported
to linux; I figure it's highly likely that most of the bugs have already
been found!