[mythtv-users] Are there any practical advantages of ext4 for MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 18 14:13:33 UTC 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> If you're currently recording to ext2/3 filesystems, the addition of
> extents and pre-allocation may well improve write performance and
> reduce fragmentation. Whether it will make a noticeable difference
> depends on how much you're going to be stressing the hard drive - with
> a small 1/2 tuner MythTV installation I doubt you'll see much, if any,
> real-world difference. If I was using XFS/JFS (as I am) I'd stick to
> them.

According to the latest Linux Journal ext4 is far from ready for prime
time. Some folks are complaining that the ext4 people had the "fast
track" not only to inclusion in the new kernels but to having it
enabled by default. Of course the ext4 people (rightly I think) point
out that unless people test it the bugs won't get worked out.

I would not use ext4 for any production machine at this time. If you
have an experimental box I'm sure the developers would appreciate any
feedback.

beww