[mythtv-users] mythbuntu and vnc

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:44:09 UTC 2008

> Did you use the freenx server from the repository? its hopelessly out of
> date.
> The .deb packages from nomachine are much better.

I got RPMs from nomachine as I run CentOS.

What system are you running the NX client on? I'm accessing my myth box
> across
> a lan using a windows client, its very snappy, much better than VNC or X
> for
> me. Also I access it over a VPN from work where it really shines.

Running on a CentOS 5.1 machine which doesn't have KDE or  Gnome installed.
I've had a heck of a job getting the client to work on my WinXP PC. Firstly
the Xsession command is configured incorrectly in server.cfg by default. It
seems to be easy to set up if you're running KDE or GNOME, but if you just
want to run a normal X-windows manager session it's not. In fact, I haven't
yet managed ot bring up a normal openbox session. I once got a window up
with fullscreen MythTV in it - which I didn't want - and since then I
haven't managed to get a window up on my WinXP PC at all, despite numerous
reboots. I get flashes when it looks like it's about to connect and then
nothing.

Now I've noticed errors when I try to restart nxserver about not being able
to run multi-node (which I don't think I was trying to do anyway).

It's been so painful I've uninstalled it from my linux server. Even that
threw up some errors! I'm sure it works quite well on some types of machines
- but not mine! It looked promising, but unfortunately I've just found it a
source of frustration this evening, so now I'm glad to be rid of it and go
back to the nice simple world of VNC.

Regards,
Phill