[mythtv-users] mythbuntu and vnc

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 17 12:58:17 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008 22:48:39 Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Have you tried nxserver?
> >  http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1
> >
> > I find it excellent for remote access, much better than VNC. Easy over
> > ssh too.
>
> I've been having a bit of a play with this on your recommendation. In what
> way do you find it better? I've found it to be a lot more fiddly to set up
> and slow to start compared to the simplicity and speed and of VNC, so I'd
> be interested to know what it is that you prefer about it.

Interesting - it was a simple install of debs for me and it auto configured
itself.

Did you use the freenx server from the repository? its hopelessly out of date.
The .deb packages from nomachine are much better.

What system are you running the NX client on? I'm accessing my myth box across
a lan using a windows client, its very snappy, much better than VNC or X for
me. Also I access it over a VPN from work where it really shines.

Could depend on what your doing as well - I don't run mythfrontend over it,
rather the KDE desktop for graphical admin tasks etc.

--
Lindsay