[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 17:04:49 UTC 2008

> Scott - my biggest worry is how 'responsive' the frontend is on the ATV.
> remember when I used to use a XBOX a few years ago, I gave up because it
> was
> dog slow switching between things or after menu presses even though it
> played things just fine.
>
> Is the ATV quick running myth under linux (with things like menus, program
> guide)?  Or does the limited memory make for delays - I vaguely remember
> someone reporting that soon after the ATV was launched - but that could
> have
> been running under OSX?
>
> I use a Mac Mini for one of my frontends and its awesome. If the ATV is
> anywhere near as good, I'd like to take out an old laptop that's doing
> service on another frontend and drop in an ATV.

My experience (running Myth under Linux) is that movement within the menus
is about as quick as I experienced with the AMD-based desktop I was using
previously.  The only place that I notice a delay is when starting live
tv.  There's a lot of disk activity at that point, but I'm not sure if
it's really due to low memory.  In any case, it's only a second or two.