[mythtv-users] DISH Receivers and external HDDs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 14 01:34:20 UTC 2008

On 04/13/2008 07:41 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> That wouldn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that the DISH
> attorneys were not able to blow that patent out of the water. We were
> using digital hard-drive-based systems to time shift in the early
> 1990s, and we couldn't have been the only ones doing it.
>
> I guess "Prior Art" doesn't mean anything anymore.
>
> Does this mean Myth is (potentially) infringing TiVo's patent?
> Actually I guess it would be the Myth users who might be doing so.

I haven't read the patent, myself, as I do /not/ read patents at all if
there's any way I can avoid doing so.  While I don't condone breaking
patents, as a software developer, I don't go out looking for information
on patents that I could be unknowingly infringing.  After all, someone
has to help the patent holder prove that he's aggressively defending the
patent.

If anyone wants to read the patent, it's the TiVo "Multimedia time
warping system," patent #6233389 (
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6233389.html , according to Google--the
link under the search result).  Fortunately for me, they chose a stupid
name that's meaningless, so from the title alone, I don't believe I (or
anything in Myth) is infringing, as time doesn't warp when I use
Myth--except, of course, when doing so in the proximity of the event
horizon of a black hole.  Therefore, I've managed to ensure I only use
my Myth box when sufficiently far from a black hole.

BTW, I would prefer--in keeping with my decision to not read the
patent--that people do not discuss the details of the patent here.
Perhaps there's some other more appropriate place--some kind of legal
newlist/forum/...  Perhaps Groklaw?

Mike