[mythtv-users] DISH Receivers and external HDDs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 14 01:44:03 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> BTW, I would prefer--in keeping with my decision to not read the
> patent--that people do not discuss the details of the patent here.
> Perhaps there's some other more appropriate place--some kind of legal
> newlist/forum/...  Perhaps Groklaw?

Agreed. Plenty of other places for that discussion.

Back On Topic, I hope.

This started out because I wondered if the $40 "external drive" option
on the DISH DVRs might provide a way to get programming transferred
between them and a Myth system. Looks like DISH-to-Myth won't work,
but there's still a chance of the other way, though even if it works a
DVD seems like a much easier way to watch a Myth recording without Myth.

I don't think images are encrypted, so it might be a way to transfer a
large number of still photos from a DISH DVR to Myth or another PC,
but I doubt there's much demand for that.

beww