[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Mon Apr 14 00:25:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-13-04 at 02:18 -0400, DISAFAN wrote:
> I'm curious for input on the issue of power saving in a frontend. What
> techniques people have used, setups, etc.
>
> Do you shutdown your frontend when not in use, put it in power-saving
> mode, leave it on?

My frontend is always on, at idle it uses 91W, I replaced the hard drive
with a CF card, so now it uses 82W, the savings of about $9/year will
not pay for the card or the CF adaptor, but I already had them. The only
problem with the adaptor is that it will not pass DMA access to the
card, so the boot time is a bit long. (I have put ide=nodma and
hda=nodma on the boot line, but it did not make a difference with
2.6.24.3 kernel)