[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Mon Apr 14 00:28:59 UTC 2008

DISAFAN wrote:

> I'm curious for input on the issue of power saving in a frontend. What
> techniques people have used, setups, etc.
>
> Do you shutdown your frontend when not in use, put it in power-saving
> mode, leave it on?

How little power is considered "saving power"? Less than 1W like a properly
designed embedded device? Some computers still use alarming amounts of power
even while in standby. I had a computer that drew like 20W when it was
supposedly off!

I have a combined frontend and backend so so my requirements are slightly
different so my solution is to have an efficient computer and leave it on. My
whole computer only uses about 15W (measured) when it's idle with the HDD spun
down (OS is on flash drive) and I figure that's reasonable provided all the
other theatre gear (monitor, amp, sub, etc) have sub-watt standby modes -
which they do.

Yes you could probably obtain a slightly lower mean power consumption by using
suspend-to-RAM or something but it's just too much hassle to try and put a
linux server into standby mode.

--
Rick Hudson