[mythtv-users] Plextor Convertx CPU Usage

Alvaro Martinez Echevarria mythtvusers at spip.thehackers.org
Sat Apr 12 18:57:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Also, it looks like it can save to divx...how would making a cutlist and
> then using nuvexport to resave it to divx work? Could something be used to
> not re-encode the divx file, similar to how myth has this function for mpeg2
> with transcoding?

I've been using one of the Plextors for years, and I'm quite
happy with it. I think the image is a bit soft even with high
quality, but I have nothing to compare it to so I don't really
know. The only real problem, that will become more pressing
as time passes, is that it seems that the driver is no longer
kept tidy by the original maintainer; so it doesn't just compile
with some kernels, you need to look around for some small
patches.

As for cutting the video, I wrote long time ago my own tool that
takes a convertx/mythtv NUV file and turns it into an AVI, cutting
at a given set of frame ranges and reencoding only where needed,
around cutpoints; it also inserts frames in some spots to help A/V
sync (which is a bit of a challenge with convertx encodings
because sound is separately recorded by the soundcard, so there
is always a considerable amount of clock drift). My original
intention (ah, intentions...) was to release it somewhere, but as
it usually happens I moved on to another hack, so I never
bothered to actually release it :). Anyway, maybe I could gather
the strenght to share with other interested people and fix the
couple of occasional crashes.
Regards,

--
Álvaro Martínez Echevarría

``Pero yo que he sentido una vez en mis manos temblar
la alegría / ya no podré morir nunca. / Pero yo que he
tocado una vez las agudas agujas del pino / ya no podré
morir nunca''. [José Hierro, "El muerto"]