[mythtv-users] XvMC, i915, latest intel drivers

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 20:44:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

    I decided to give the latest Intel RC drivers a shot as they are
supposed to incorporate XvMC.  I have been able to get them installed
and was able to play back some mpeg using xine and xvmc.  So I'm
pretty sure that the XvMC is working, at least somewhat.

    When I configured mythtv to try to use XvMC it crashes on SD MPEG
from QAM, and it falls back to xv playback in HD.  Xv playback does
work properly, but the machine doesn't have the guts to play 1080i
with 1080p output, which is my goal with XvMC.  Doing some debuging
MythTV is determining the max XvMC as 720x576, but xvinfo report
1920x1088.  Not sure what that's about.  But until SD plays with XvMC
no point in even trying HD :)

    It looks to me like the myth code is deciding to use a textured
surface and not the overlay surface.  Is this how it should work?  Any
ideas on where I should troubleshoot?  I spent last night trying to
dig through the code to understand how it all works, but I really
don't understand the XvMC stuff very well.

    I've attached my mythfrontend log and xvinfo if anyone feels like looking.

Thanks,
Billy

PS
fedora 8 i386
Xorg 1.3 (i think, that's what the rpm installed is
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-44.fc8.i386, but the latest Xorg releases
are in the 7's so that confuses me.)
xf86-video-intel-2.2.99.902