[mythtv-users] firewire/comcast/motorolla DHC3200

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 17:29:27 UTC 2008

Hi Marc,

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:23:44AM -0700, Jason wrote:
>> You won't be able to record encrypted channels, though.  But, I get most
>> of
>> the SD channels unencrypted.  Most of the HD ones are unencrypted, too,
>> but
>> the encryption seems to get activated for some programs (not necessarily
>> the
>> entire channel).  I have a HD HomeRun as a primary to record broadcast
>
> I forgot to ask, do you actually get HD over firewire for HD digital
> channels
> that you can't get unencrypted with HD Homerun, or they come out in SD?

My experience has been that I can get some of them, some of the time.
That is, I've been able to tune most of the HD channels at some point in
time, but other times I have not.  I have not been able to tune HD movie
channels at all (i.e. Encore, etc. -- The 500 range of channel numbers,
IIRC)

In those cases where I haven't, it's been for new episodes of shows
running during primetime.  I've assumed that this is because 5C is turned
on for those specific showings; as a result, I've put my HDHR as a much
higher priority device than the FireWire tuner to work around this.  Most
of the shows I want are major broadcast shows anyway.  For the movie
channels, I assume that 5C is always on.

I'm looking forward to the new Hauppauge device to help resolve some of
this, so I've pre-ordered it.

Jason