[mythtv-users] Best distribution for FireWire and MythTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:40:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> I am looking for people who use firewire with MythTV a lot,
>  and would like to know what distribution you use.  I like
>  Fedora because it is easy to set up with MythTV, but
>  apparently it has issues with firewire and MythTV (according
>  to the MythTV wiki, the "new firewire subsystem" that Fedora
>  uses is incompatible with MythTV)
>
>  I am looking for a distribution that is easy to set up for MythTV,
>  and which also works fairly well with firewire "out of the box".

My backend runs Kubuntu 7.04 with the 2.6.24 kernel from Ubuntu 8.04.
That along with my firewire script for changing channels and ensuring
a connection for streaming I've yet to miss a recording and I get
fairly good captures (occasionally glitches and drops some data which
I understand to be an issue with the linux firewire drivers, but since
upgrading to 2.6.24 this hasn't been nearly as bad, and could also be
the firewire chipset in my backend)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!