[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Apr 8 18:31:24 UTC 2008

Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> says:
> I don't believe it for a second.  [Hauppauge]'s entire business
> pretty much revolves around those (Linux, Windows or otherwise) who
> want the freedom to use their own hardware and who believe in
> consumer rights when it comes to TV.
>
> If they were that afraid of the repercussions they wouldn't even be
> in business.

Indeed. For all the ranting and raving--some, even most, of it
justified--about the RIAA and MPAA here, the paranoia, assumption of
ill will, and general Manichean outlook on the world I see some
posters manifest mystifies me.

The new Hauppauge device only differs from other capture products in
its lineup in terms of degree, not in kind. Even in the very, very,
very unlikely event that They (with a capital T) somehow magically
suppress the Hauppauge device--as if They spend their days monitoring
new gadget announcements--it's only a matter of months before other,
competing devices come out. As stated, I've preordered the device, but
not because I expect Them to suppress it any day now and make units a
rarity.[1]

(And if Hauppauge's unwillingness to in-house develop a Linux driver
equates to viewing Linux users as a "bunch of pirates" then, well,
half the computer-peripheral makers out there apparently share this
view, eh?)

Since my first posting of the following was too subtle for some of the
more simpleminded here, let me point to it again:
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/320064#320064>.

[1] I did buy two ATSC capture cards long before ever building a
MythTV box because of the broadcast flag issue. That, however, was
something that had the mandate of government fiat behind it. And, in
any case, the broadcast flag turned out to be a nonissue.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array