[mythtv-users] AMD 3100+/NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 too slow for broadcast HD playback (from hdhomerun) even with XvMC?

Phil Baltar pb.listbox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:29:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:55:48AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Howdy again,
> >
> > I have video/audio studder problems with my AMD 3100+ and recorded/live
> > HD content.
> > It happens with deinterlace playback/bob2x or without deinterlace.
> > I have mpeg2 decoder set to Standard XvMC
>
> I should have added that I did go to
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC
>
> deinterlace is bob2x
> eneable realtime is on
> use video is timebase is off
> extra audo buffering is on
>
> What I was missing was:
> enable opengl vertical sync is off
>
> Now, things are better after a "warmup": video still stutters for a couple
> of seconds maybe while the caches warm up, and then things work mostly.
> From
> time to time, it still stutters a bit.
>
> 'Seperate video modes for GUI and TV playback'  won't do me much good
> since
> This is with 1080 content on a 1920x1080 TV via DVI
>
> I also tried:
> Try using the 'nvidia-settings' control panel to disable Video Texture
> Adapter and/or Video Blitter Adapter "Sync to VBlank" checkboxes
> It made no difference.
>
> I do have "UseEvents" "True" in the X config.
>
> So, do I need to start looking at replacing hardware?
> (things mostly liveable, but not quite right)
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
> --
> "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" -
> A.S.R.
> Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
>                                      .... what McDonalds is to gourmet
> cooking
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

Interesting... I'm using the same hardware and it seems we also live in the
same area...

Actually, I might have a 3400+, not 3100+ (I'm not home so I can't check it
right now).  However, I noticed that I get better results without XvMC.  Of
course, I'm using an old Nvidia driver.  The newer ones got rid of XV
picture controls, so I had to go back.

Another thought: When did you start having problems?  The weather seems to
have been messing with my reception lately. I get sporadic studdering.