[mythtv-users] Unreasonably high CPU usage when playing HD content? Suggestions?

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Tue Apr 8 00:34:01 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> What I don't understand though is that my screen size is 1280x720 so I would
>> have though it could play that resolution without scaling at all. There is
>> obviously something about GPU data transfer I'm missing. Maybe there's a
>> playback profile suitable for this unscaled situation that I haven't found yet.
>
> For 720p, display on a 720p TV should be unscaled unless you've
> specified overscan in Myth and are using GUI size for playback or you're
> running Myth in a window or something--i.e. not displaying video at
> 1280x720.

Well that diagnosis was spot on - it turns out my display mode had changed to
1280x768 (Doh!) so mythtv was indeed trying to scale from 1280x720 to 1280x768.

So what happens now it's back in the right mode is that 1280x720 video is
actually playable on my system with about 50% CPU load - at least for some
formats. It's still a bit higher than I was expecting but at least it's low
enough to work.

--
Rick Hudson