[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: Photos and link to pre-order

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Fri Apr 4 17:29:01 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Jeff Clark wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>>>  > Matt Emmott wrote:
>>>  >> Looks like it finally exists. I'll be pre-ordering soon!
>>>  >>
>>>  >> http://brentevans.blogspot.com/2008/04/hauppauge-hd-pvr-photos.html
>>>  >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>  Oh, good. I didn't think anyone here would be interested in that. I hope
>>>  they're ready for the onslaught of pre-orders.
>>>

>> So would this take the place of a mythbox or work with one?
>>

> It's a capture device that connects to a computer.
> It won't work with Myth at all until there is a confirmed working Linux
> driver and support is explicitly added into MythTV.
>
> My hope is that it is released with a working Linux driver and support
> is added relatively quickly and backported to 0.21 so I don't have to
> move off packages and back onto SVN again to get this working ASAP.
> These are just hopes, of course. ;)
>
> -Brad

I remember reading in the past that Hauppauge ( developer I think ) said
that it would be released with Linux support.
The devie is supposed to be $249.

Here is the Hauppauge press release from CES on this:

High Definition Video Recorder for PCs
‘HD PVR’ records video from HD cable TV or satellite boxes into H.264 in
real time.
Includes Hauppauge’s IR blaster for scheduled TV recordings.
2008 International CES, Las Vegas, South Hall 4 - Booth #35328 (January
10th, 2008):
Hauppauge Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAUP), the world's leading developer
and manufacturer of
analog and digital TV receiver products for personal computers,
demonstrated at CES 2008 for the
first time their ‘HD PVR’, a USB personal video recorder which can
record high definition TV video
into H.264 in real time.
The HD PVR can connect to high definition cable TV or satellite TV set
top box receivers, and uses
it’s on-board H.264 hardware encoder to record high definition TV
programs in an ISO standard HD
H.264 AVC format in real time. The connections to the set top boxes are
made via component
cables, also referred to as ‘YPrPb’ or the red/blue/green connectors on
HD set top boxes. The HD
PVR includes a video player application which allows the recorded TV
programs to be played back
on a PC screen.
To enable automatic recording of TV programs, the HD PVR recorder
includes Hauppauge’s IR
Blaster, which controls the channels on most popular cable and satellite
TV set top boxes in North
America and Europe, and will allow users to schedule the recording of
their HD programs. The IR
Blaster is also used on Hauppauge’s WinTV-PVR-150 and WinTV-HVR-1600 TV
receivers.
In addition to high definition ISO standard H.264 recordings, the
Hauppauge HD PVR can also
create AVCHD recordings, which is the format used on Blu-ray high
definition players. As part of
the software applications which will be shipped with Hauppauge’s HD
encoder, a DVD burning
application will be provided which can take AVCHD formatted recordings
and burn them onto a
conventional DVD disc. These discs can then be played in Blu-ray DVD
players. About 2 hours of
Blu-ray HD content can be recorded on a 4.7 GByte DVD disk.
The HD PVR will be available in Q1 2008, with a suggested retail price
of $249.