[mythtv-users] Fw: Mechanism for backend to process transport stream file on disk?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:30:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Stephen Winiecki <stevewin at us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote on 04/03/2008 07:58:41 AM:
>
> > Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there was a mechanism for the backend to process
> some
> > > 'canned' transport stream (with multiple program streams) in the form
> of a
> > > file on disk.  I am looking into ways to demonstrate some DTV
> capabilities
> > > for evaluation hardware relative to processing an input transport
> stream
> > > and playing audo/video, changing channels etc.  For this demonstration
>
> > > application, it would be ideal to be able to input the stream off disk
> and
> > > not have to worry about external providers/streamers etc. - is there a
> way
> > > to do this (or is anyone aware of anyone hacking it in)?
> >
> > There used to be this capability several years ago for debugging
> > purposes, but if it's still there I can't find it.
> >
> > Could you set up an RTSP server, even on the same box, and use the
> > HDHomeRun tuner?
>
> Well the ideal would be to be able to demonstrate at different sites (and
> different geographies) and not have a requirement on acquiring a live
> signal.

You should be able to use VLC to stream local files via RTSP and use what
Myth calls a Freebox recorder tuner configured on the backend.  The Freebox
recorder takes a simple M3U playlist file to tell it where to find RTSP
streams.  Point it at your VLC server and you should get a "channel" that is
the content that VLC provides.

I think if you search for Freebox on the wiki you'll find a rudimentary
example.

Kevin