[mythtv-users] Fw: Mechanism for backend to process transport stream file on disk?

Stephen Winiecki stevewin at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 3 21:19:56 UTC 2008

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote on 04/03/2008 07:58:41 AM:

> Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a mechanism for the backend to process
some
> > 'canned' transport stream (with multiple program streams) in the form
of a
> > file on disk.  I am looking into ways to demonstrate some DTV
capabilities
> > for evaluation hardware relative to processing an input transport
stream
> > and playing audo/video, changing channels etc.  For this demonstration

> > application, it would be ideal to be able to input the stream off disk
and
> > not have to worry about external providers/streamers etc. - is there a
way
> > to do this (or is anyone aware of anyone hacking it in)?
>
> There used to be this capability several years ago for debugging
> purposes, but if it's still there I can't find it.
>
> Could you set up an RTSP server, even on the same box, and use the
> HDHomeRun tuner?

Well the ideal would be to be able to demonstrate at different sites (and
different geographies) and not have a requirement on acquiring a live
signal.

I just started looking around - it does look like there are some 'stream
card' solutions that you can plug into your PC to use it to stream
transport streams.   Maybe that would be the way to go - just use a
regular capture card and find a USB stream adapter and use a laptop at the
site to serve the stream.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Would
still be nice to also have the capability to basically have a file as
backend input...  Would it be worth asking on the dev list?